Interchange, a collaborative program of COCA, provides artists to schools to help teachers integrate the arts in their classrooms.
Interchange supports arts-integrated learning through:
- Professional development of teachers, administrators and teaching artists. This is done through on-site coaching, a summer institute, school-year workshops and opportunities to participate in national arts education programs.
- Programmatic and financial support of partnerships between arts and cultural organizations and classroom teachers. The most important work Interchange does is to facilitate the in-classroom work of SLPS teachers in tandem with teaching artists.
- Documentation and evaluation of arts integration. Learning is not just happening in the classroom, it’s built into the Interchange model.
- Advocating for arts education. Interchange partners with principals, teachers, parents, and community members to ensure arts education remains an integral part of each child¹s education in the St. Louis Public Schools.
And you can get involved!
- Engage your students in learning by integrating the arts into your lesson plans.
- Seek partnerships with arts specialists and teaching artists to help you strategize ways to bring the arts into your classroom.
- Get involved in your child’s education ‹ join your local parent-teacher organization, and ask for arts integration in your child’s school.
- Become an arts active parent. Bring arts and culture into your child’s life as often as possible.
- Sign up for email alerts and updates.
- Take advantage of the many cultural opportunities in your school and the community.
- Have an open mind. Don’t be afraid to try creative ways to learn new things.
- Become a member of Interchange and join other area arts and cultural organizations supporting arts-integrated learning in the St. Louis Public Schools.
- Develop a cadre of teaching artists who want to partner with classroom teachers.
- Advocate for the arts in public schools. Contact the Special Administrative Board and your elected representatives about the importance of arts education and arts-integrated learning.
- Provide financial support for arts integration through Interchange.