COCA’s Student Handbook outlines our policies and procedures to ensure that all students and their parents will experience a positive, healthy and educationally productive atmosphere. Explore our student handbook for dress code, attendance, make-up class, tardiness, etiquette, and safety and security information.
COCA Student Handbook
- All dancers are responsible for dressing according to the correct dress codes for their discipline and class level.
- Students are encouraged to arrive and leave the studio wearing their dance attire. We recommended wearing street clothes over dance clothes when entering and exiting the building.
- Dance shoes must only be worn in the dance studios and never outside. Hip-hop students should have a separate pair of sneakers that are never worn outside.
- If a student does not have the appropriate shoes, the front desk personnel will try to find shoes from the donated supply. These shoes must be returned at the end of class.
- For the student’s own safety, large jewelry is not permitted in class.
- If the dancer does not have the correct attire, they must obtain permission from the instructor to participate or observe the class that day.
Dress Code by Class
- Students who miss class due to injury, illness or personal reasons are allowed to make up classes. However, COCA cannot provide refunds or credits for the missed classes.
- Students are not required to make up absences caused by inclement weather, class cancellations and building closures, but it is highly encouraged.
- To make up a class, students should provide a completed make-up form to the instructor of the class that was missed.
- Classes can be made up prior to missing a class.
- All make-up classes must be completed prior to the final week of classes each semester.
- In the event that an act of nature or civil disturbance necessitates the closing of any COCA program in University City or any other off-site location, COCA is not responsible for providing a make-up session, credit or refund of any kind.
Make-Up Class Form Make-Up Class Grid
- Prompt attendance is important for full warmup and curriculum. If a dance student arrives more than 15 minutes late, they are only allowed to observe their class.
- If he or she arrives more than 15 minutes late and has another dance class following, the student is allowed to warmup and join his or her next class, as some, but not all, classes use the previous class as a warmup.
- Talking in class should be kept to a minimum.
- Hanging on the barres is not permitted at any time.
- Street shoes are not allowed on the marley floors.
- Gum and candy are not allowed in class.
- Food and beverages are not allowed in the studios, theatre, dressing rooms or bathrooms, with the exception of closed water bottles.
- All students are expected to pick up after themselves before leaving a studio.
- Pianos are respected at all times. They are not to be played without permission and students should never place any items upon them.
- The faculty and accompanist must be treated with respect at all times.
- If a student does not adhere to this general classroom etiquette, the teacher has the right to remove the student from class.
Safety and Security
- Children under 12 years of age must be supervised at all times by a parent or guardian until they have entered their designated class or camp. Park and walk them into the studios and meet them at the end of class to escort them out.
- For camps, all students under the age of 12 must be signed out daily by a parent or guardian.
- All students must be picked up promptly at the end of class or rehearsal by a parent or guardian. Children are under supervision during their instruction time only; faculty and staff are not responsible for supervising children outside of teaching time. No child will be allowed to wait outside or leave the building without a parent or guardian.
- In case of emergency, please notify the Patron Services Desk at 314.725.6555.
To learn more about registration policies, including cancellations, transfers and withdrawals, and placement classes, click here.