Director of COCAbiz
The fourth largest multidisciplinary community arts center in the country, COCA- Center of Creative Arts, is known and recognized for innovative arts programming for students of all ages and abilities. COCAbiz is its arts-based training division for the business community. Utilizing the tools and practices from the arts (such as design thinking, improvisation and storytelling), COCAbiz helps business professionals, develop key skills, and deepen engagement and build team collaboration.
A critical member of the COCA leadership team, The Director of COCAbiz will both manage client relationships as well as oversee the continued development of the COCAbiz program portfolio. The Director of COCAbiz reports to the Director of External Affairs and Strategic Initiatives and is a highly collaborative leadership role, with functional responsibilities that span across programs/disciplines in the arts and business.
The Director of COCAbiz provides leadership and management of COCA’s unique portfolio of business offerings. Key to success in the role is the ability to bridge the unfamiliar territory of the arts to client businesses – serving as thought leader, spokesperson and promoter for the powerful intersection of the arts education and organizational development.
- Program Manager, COCAbiz
- Facilitators, COCAbiz
- Teaching Artists, COCAbiz
Administrative Essential Functions:
- Develop and oversee the budget for all COCAbiz programs.
- Work with Director of Arts Learning to manage the recruitment, hiring, onboarding and training of Teaching Artists.
- Engage with and serve as staff liaison to COCAbiz Advisory Committee.
- Serve as a member of COCA’s Senior Staff team.
- Conduct on-going research and pursue professional development opportunities to develop COCAbiz staff, programming and networks.
COCAbiz Essential Functions:
- Increase awareness and understanding of the role the arts and the value of immersive arts-based training and programming in cultivating successful business practices.
- Ensure the ultimate success of a portfolio of relationships with more 30 existing businesses and not-for-profit clients located throughout the St. Louis area.
- Identify, cultivate and secure new business opportunities to support earned revenue growth.
- Develop sales process, prospecting system and reports to effectively communicate business development with management, colleagues and community volunteers.
- Develop a process to understand the clients’ business challenges, organizational structure and culture, and desired outcomes/goals in order to generate proposal, design program and deliver services.
- Work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with a myriad of groups, including business professionals, artists, civic leaders, educators and funders.
- Ability to call on the highest levels of decision makers in an organization with confidence.
- Recruit, hire and supervise COCAbiz staff as program growth necessitates.
- Together with Director of External Affairs and other internal staff, external evaluators (as needed) and client input, develop metrics and tools to measure program effectiveness and participant outcomes.
Institutional Essential Functions:
- Work with Executive Director and Director of External Affairs to create and execute a comprehensive business development strategy for COCAbiz.
- Work with Director of External Affairs to ensure that COCAbiz programming and services align with COCA’s mission, values and quality standards, and with client expectations.
- Develop and lead with COCA’s Program Team the annual COCAbiz speaker’s series, which welcomes progressive thought leaders to offer insights and inspiration on embracing creativity and innovation in business.
- Represent COCA in meetings with business, civic, and educational leaders in St. Louis, across Missouri and national forums.
- Lead an effort to develop curriculum in business education programs in St. Louis-area University and/or college programs.
- Work with COCA’s development staff to assist in raising funds to support COCAbiz.
- Work with COCA’s marketing staff to develop comprehensive marketing plan to build brand awareness and develop new audiences, business and networks for COCAbiz.
- Collaborate with all Program Directors to ensure institutional alignment for residencies and programs, teaching artist staffing, messaging, and marketing.
- Work collaboratively with the programming and artistic staff to stimulate program ideas and assist in the development of new COCAbiz curriculum and implementation of programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Five years in management position preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with St. Louis business community.
- Exceptional communication, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Marketing minded with proven experience in developing sales strategies, conducting cold calls, making sales/funding presentations, closing techniques and developing service and pricing proposals.
- Ability to problem-solve, be flexible, imaginative, and innovative.
- Ability to take initiative in the development of ideas and programs.
- Collaborative leadership style with proven ability to develop, lead and work effectively in a team environment.
- Interest in and commitment to the arts and arts education.
- Must be proficient using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Creative, out of the box thinker with a sense of humor.
- Ability to circulate around building on foot and navigate stairs.
- Ability to sit for periods.
- Must have manual dexterity to operate computer keyboard and standard office equipment.
- Must be able to lift 20lbs.
- Must own vehicle and be able to drive it throughout the area.
COCA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.