Production Staff-Electrician (Part Time)
Reports to/Supervisor Title: Production Manager
As a leader in arts education, and the largest multidisciplinary community arts organization in the Midwest, COCA annually serves more than 50,000 people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds. Through dance, vocal music, theatre, art and design, and beyond, we nurture the artistic and creative potential in our students and our community. This spring, COCA will debut a brand new, state-of-the-art theatre featuring two-tier seating with a spacious stage and a generous technical inventory.
COCA technicians are an integral part of COCA Presents shows, COCA’s Pre-Professional produced shows and many other shows and events.
- Assist in maintaining COCA’s rep plot and be able to adjust for renter/tour/show needs.
- Hang, patch, and focus the plot for shows.
- Participate in load in, focus, and strike to ensure the plot is properly focused for the show.
- Assist in maintaining administrative paperwork as pertains to the Electrics department.
- Participate as the board operator, deck electrician, or spotlight operator, depending on show needs
- Perform as lighting designer for shows with advance request.
Essential Skills, Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or significant professional training.
- Proficient with the ETC Ion light board (programming, running).
- Experience in dance and dance lighting preferred.
- Thorough understanding of DMX and other lighting control protocols.
- Experience with LED and moving lights a plus.
- Ability to hang, focus and trouble shoot lighting and theatrical electrics-related issues.
- Ability to repair and maintain theatrical lighting instruments and cabling.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including days, nights and weekends.
- Ability to problem solve, be flexible, imaginative and innovative.
- Ability to work alone or with a group – initiative is desired (identifying issues before they are problems, preventative maintenance, etc.)
- Ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand instruction.
- Ability to stand and circulate for extended periods of time.
- Ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel and reach in all directions.
- Ability to work comfortably at heights such as catwalks, and the use of ladders and a genie lift.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.