JOB SUMMARY: The Human Resources Generalist is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level and works closely with the hiring managers to support the overall mission of the organization. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: recruitment/hiring, onboarding, benefits administration, performance management and employment law compliance.
- Recruits, interviews, and facilitates the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Reviews, tracks, and documents compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training, continuing education, and work assessments. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, and aptitude exams and certifications.
- Conducts background checks and responds to requests for employment verification.
- Conducts new hire orientation and on-boarding.
- Implements employee recognition programs.
- Performs routine tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs including but not limited to compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Handles employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff or legal counsel.
- Attends and participates in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Provides leadership for COCA’s I.D.E.A. Committee (Inclusion Diversity Equity in the Arts).
- Coordinates materials, communications, scheduling and takes meeting minutes for HR Task Force.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now and ADP Recruitment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required.
- At least two years of human resource management experience preferred.
- SHRM-CP or HRCI-PHR certification preferred.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds at times.