As a leader in arts education, and the largest multidisciplinary community arts organization in the Midwest, COCA annually serves more than 50,000 people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds. Through dance, vocal music, theatre, art and design, and beyond, we nurture the artistic and creative potential in our students and our community. This spring, COCA will debut a brand new, state-of-the-art theatre featuring two-tier seating with a spacious stage and a generous technical inventory.
COCA offers half and full day summer arts camps for children in dance, movement, drama and art. Teaching assistants will be scheduled to work throughout the summer to help implement camps, supervise students and maintain a safe and secure camp environment for children. Teaching assistants are expected to maintain professional behavior at all times and no cell phone use during working hours is permitted.
- Work with the assigned faculty member to prepare the classroom each day.
- Greet students and parents as they arrive at COCA each day. Assist parents as they find their way from the parking lot or drop off zone to the classroom.
- Assist children who are dropped off or picked up at COCA to ensure student safety.
- Safely supervise students as they travel to and from snack locations as well as supervise during snack time.
- Supervise students in the classroom if the teacher needs to leave the room. Be available to take to or pick up children from the bathroom, the office, the lunchroom, and extended daycare, etc.
- Supervise students during lunchtime. Ensure that they remain seated, behave appropriately and eat their lunches.
- Help the teacher fulfill her/his goals for each class meeting by participating in classroom activities, assisting students as needed and leading activities when requested.
- Assist the teacher with clean-up each day.
- Teaching Assistants may also be assigned to supervise students in Before Care/After Care and will be expected to lead activities during those hours. This position requires additional training.
- On the last day of each session, assist the teacher(s) and camp manager with break down/set-up for the upcoming session after camp time.
- On the final day of the summer, assist the camp manager with packing up supplies and cleaning the rooms/studios.
- 16 years of age or older
- At least 2 years arts experience
- Minimum 2 years childcare or other experience with children
- Excellent verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to circulate around building on foot and navigate stairs
- Ability to sit for periods of time
- Must be able to lift 20lbs